ADD CENTRE COVID-19 Information
We are the authority on ADD/ADHD combined with Neurofeedback and Biofeedback. We have written the professional textbooks on ADD/ADHD and are the best resource for clients
March 31, 2020
Dear ADD Centre Clients and Parents,
As you are aware, the ADD Centre has been closed for in-person sessions since March 18th. Developments since then have shown that we were ahead of the curve in closing but overly optimistic in our plans to reopen on April 1st. With your health and that of our staff as our top priority, we will only resume face-to-face training when government and Public Health recommendations indicate that it is safe. In the meantime, we remain committed to providing remote services so that you can continue to benefit from ADD Centre programmes; thus, we are adapting and providing services by phone and Internet, while you remain safely at home.
In addition to telehealth/telephone counselling available with Lynda, Andrea or Lena (which would be reimbursed by insurance plans as Psychological Services or Psychotherapy Services for those with coverage available), The following remote options are available to you. Contact us by email or phone about any of these options. (See contact information below.)
Remote Options include:
1. Online Working Memory Training Program COGMED – These sessions are recommended for improving working memory and attention. The CogMed training is done for 5 weeks, 5 days per week.
2. Remote Single-Channel Neurofeedback Training combined with metacognitive strategies – ADD Centre Staff will remotely login and run the session with you. These would be a remote version of the single channel training sessions completed at the office. It requires that we rent you a system and that someone in your home can be trained to apply electrodes.
3. Remote Biofeedback Training includes heart rate variability, skin temperature, skin conductance and strategies to help you use these methods to de-stress. These sessions are excellent for stress management and anxiety. The heart rate variability training also improves functioning in people who have suffered a mild TBI/concussion.
4. Sound and Light Training – Also called AVS or audio-visual entrainment. Sessions are available for ADHD symptoms and increasing SMR (calming). There are other programs available as well, such as for falling asleep faster. Again, this is a rental of the device. You can use at home on your own.
5. Listening interventions – Safe and Sound Programme. This is a 5-day listening programme. There is rental of headphones and an iPod with specially recorded music. It can be used at home in a comfortable, quiet room. The listening program can be helpful in calming the nervous system so it can help with social and emotional difficulties, sensory sensitivities, and anxiety. For improved attention, we are investigating the FOCUS programme that combines listening with movement exercises. This programme involves a longer time commitment – 40 sessions done at home.
6. Metacognitive Strategies sessions- These would be remote sessions with one of our ADD Centre staff and includes coaching in strategies to assist with home schooling (homework), stress management, organizational skills etc.
All programmes are being offered at reduced prices to make them more affordable during these uncertain times. And do re-read the BODES handout (Breathing, On-line cognitive games, Diet, Exercise, Sleep) attached to our previous letter, for at-home activities, many of which cost nothing. It’s a good time to do things that boost resilience.
If you are unsure of which option would be of most benefit to you, we would be happy to review your file and make appropriate recommendations. We are checking voicemails at both the Mississauga and Toronto Offices daily and are responding to emails to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and for the Toronto office, email@example.com.
Have a safe, happy and healthy week ahead. Health is the greatest wealth!
Lynda Thompson, Ph.D., C.Psych. Andrea Reid-Chung, M.A., C. Psych. Assoc.
Executive Director Clinical Director
Improve: Attention, Focus, Organization and Learning through Brain Wave Analysis and Feedback!
Director: Dr. Lynda M. Thompson
416-488-2233 or 905-803-8066